If you would like to speak to a trained and experienced Potential Plus UK Education Consultant for:
then please call our Central Office to book a 30 minute telephone consultation on 01908 646 433. Telephone consultations are half an hour long and cost £30 for non-members of Potential Plus UK. Members of Potential Plus UK have priority access to advice and guidance, including the booked consultancy appointments, which form part of their membership.
Our Education Consultants are fully trained by Potential Plus UK to answer all your questions relating to supporting and parenting a child with High Learning Potential.
- support on a wide range of issues related to High Learning Potential
- useful strategies to help your child at home and school
- ideas to enrich your child's learning
- support on parenting a child with High Learning Potential,
However, the Education Consultants can only give guidance based on the information provided to them by the parent. More constructive, personalised advice about the child and detailed recommendations can only be given if the Education Consultant is able to carry out an Assessment for High Learning Potential and meet with the child face-to-face.
Here are some examples of issues regularly covered during telephone consultations:
Parents and carers whose child is experiencing extreme difficulties, such as those listed below, may benefit from their child doing the Assessment for High learning Potential, which provides a more personalised picture of their child's strengths and weaknesses:
- How to Identify Children with High Learning Potential: signs and characteristics to look out for, common traits, problems that can arise in school or at home, spotting potential in a young child, keeping a young child motivated, learning and having fun at the same time.
- How to Work with Schools: questions to ask schools, how to approach schools, how to develop a good working relationship with your child's school, parental rights, how to get involved with your school.
- Social/Emotional Issues: guidance on bullying, emotional worries, lack of social interaction, perfectionism, stress, anxiety, depression.
- Choosing the Right School: what makes a good school for a child with High Learning Potential, what to look out for, questions to ask, evidence to see, help with school admissions appeals, recommendations, Gifted and Talented Policy, Gifted and Talented Register. Gifted Provision: extension, enrichment, acceleration; what do they mean and how are they implemented?
- Handwriting: issues with poor presentation, refusing to write, poor motor control, hand/eye coordination, unfinished work.
- Underachievement: not producing work to standard expected, deliberately working at lower level, being the class clown, behaviour issues, boredom.
- Resources/Activities: a Potential Plus UK Education Consultant can recommend books, toys, games, places to go, activities to do with HLP children, creative ideas and Potential Plus UK explorers groups.
- Dual or Multiple Exceptionality: Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, ADHD, Asperger Syndrome and other conditions alongside High Learning Potential which sometimes lead to High Learning Potential going unnoticed.
Parents who use the Telephone Consultancy Service have said:
- not being challenged at school,
- struggling to fit in with their peers,
- losing the motivation to learn,
- questioning authority,
- demonstrating challenging behaviour,
- overly anxious or impatient,
- not wanting to join in with activities,
- lacking self-esteem,
- highly sensitive,
- experiencing bullying,
- refusing to go to school.
"Many thanks for this invaluable service. We had our consultation during a time when it seemed as though no one else understood just how difficult and frustrating it can be to parent a gifted child. Most of our friends think we have nothing to complain about; that it should be all plain sailing just because our daughter is intelligent. They don't know the half of it! The support, understanding and useful advice given by the Education Consultant was just what we needed to regain confidence and forge ahead."
"Just a note to say thanks for the consultation and the report - this has given us a very useful framework to go ahead with."
"I previously felt as if I was going round in circles, trying to find a way to solve the issues I had with the way my son was being taught. Following the call, I feel that I have a better understanding of the way the education system works, and how to help my son to get the most out of his time at school. I also feel more able to communicate with the school"
"Following advice the Potential Plus UK Telephone Consultation, I felt I was able to ask my child's school for help without worrying about being seen as a pushy parent."
"As parents, you can feel adrift, unsure of how best to progress in advocating for your child. Feeling unable to support your child optimally is undesirable for any family, but it is particularly tragic when the child, properly supported, could use their gift to contribute significantly to society. The consultation service can provide insight that cuts through the 'mist', empowering parents and their gifted children. Personally, I felt understood and my family is benefitting from simple tried-and-tested techniques that were recommended to us. I craved practical everyday strategies for helping my child and the consultant was able to provide them. Very few are in a position to do this; I am very grateful."
"I was beginning to think there was something wrong with my child and that no-one would understand what I was going through. Thanks for listening and being so supportive."
"Talking to you was very helpful and gave me some reassurance that my belief about my son's abilities indeed could be more a fact than my motherly feelings."
"Thank you for the conversation and steer yesterday, it's given me some confidence to stick with my intuition on this and provide more targeted support. It also feels good to have some precise actions to follow through."