- NURTURE their gifts and talents
- Support children to SUCCEED
- DISCOVER your child's potential
- Remove barriers to ACHIEVEMENT
Welcome to the website of Potential Plus UK. We are an independent charity supporting children with high learning potential (gifted and talented) by working with families, schools and professionals.
We are Potential Plus UK
Welcome to Potential Plus UK. We are an independent charity supporting children with high learning potential and their families. Many will remember us as the National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC).
Life can be difficult for a child with high learning potential. School work may not stretch them and yet other aspects of life may appear quite daunting. This can set them apart from their classmates and make it difficult for them to feel one of the crowd.
Our research suggests that every year, 35,000 children are born in the U.K. with high learning potential. But we know from experience that without the right support, that potential may not be realised. Sometimes the negatives can seem to outweigh the positives. The child feels different and teachers can be just too busy to spot the opportunity. We challenge the barriers others often unwittingly place between young people and achieving their full potential.
For 50 years we have been helping high learning potential children. Our independent assessment can highlight children’s specific needs and present this in a form that schools, educational psychologists and other professionals recognise. Parents find the information gained easy to understand and helpful in implementing the right support for their children.
As well as supporting children and families, we help schools and other professionals and work hard to raise the profile of high learning potential. We know these children can grow up to be highly successful in their chosen field, providing that ability is recognised early.
The 2019 Above and Beyond Awards
The 2019 Above and Beyond Awards ceremony took place on February 11th at the International Conference Centre, Birmingham. At the awards we celebrated parents, young people, teachers, support staff and other professionals in the UK who go ‘above and beyond’ to help children and young people within the UK achieve their high learning potential.
Former Potential Plus UK President Johnny Ball presented the Lifetime Achievement Award to Professor Diane Montgomery at the Above and Beyond Awards 2019 hosted by Bobby Seagull.
To discover more about the awards and their fantastic recipients visit our Awards pages.
Potential Plus UK Membership
- We help families to understand and meet the needs of their child with high learning potential and give parents a voice. Membership also helps the charity to maintain an independent voice and allows us to support all families that are in need of help and advice.
- School membership is a package of support designed specifically for head teachers, more able or gifted and talented lead teachers and other academic staff and governors to be able to support their school and their more able students.
- This category of membership is designed for individuals and organisations that have a professional interest in high learning potential / gifted and talented issues, want to keep their knowledge up-to-date and have opportunities to promote their services to interested parties.